This site could use cookies. Please, click here to look at our cookie policy page
www.emiliaromagnaturismo.it Emilia-Romagna Turismo

Via Ducale Vandelli

Contact U.T.C.
Address Via XXVI Maggio 31 40123 LAMA MOCOGNO MO
Telephone 0536 44127
Fax 0536 44890
E-mail lamamocogno@msw.it


Last update 27/09/2014 (ref.55064)
by the local editorial office of Lama Mocogno
Via XXIV Maggio 4 - 41023 Lama Mocogno
Tel. 0536 344390, 0536 343568 - Fax 0536 343570 Email: turismo@comune.lamamocogno.mo.it

In 1739 Duke Francesco d'Este commissioned the mathematician Domenico Vandelli to build this road; the intention of the Duke was to create a direct communications road between the provinces of Modena and Massa Carrara, across the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines. Building work lasted from 1739 to 1752, with an interruption of seven years between 1742 and 1748 due to the Austro-Sardinian occupation of the d�Este states. The road was the answer to the dynastic interests of the House of Este, ensuring the city of Modena access to the sea. The building of the road was very important for Lama, which gained economic advantage from it; it was indeed thanks to the Via Vandelli that building and commerce developed, the population grew and the village became more and more well-known, with many important figures passing through and often stopping over on their journey. Nowadays, the Via Vandelli is certainly an important feature of the local landscape and an important part of our historical heritage. Long stretches of the old road can still be recognized and driven along even though some parts have been lost, partly covered over by the new road system. The charm of the original old road is still evident in the many stretches where the dry-stone wall and original roadbed have been preserved, crossing through high-altitude grasslands and dense woodland full of beech trees and silver firs. In the borough of Lama Mocogno, two original stretches of the old road still exist which are practicable on foot and by mountain bike: firstly, the original stretch of the Via Vandelli along the Borra mountain ridge, between the Mocogno and Scoltenna valleys, which leads to the parish of Borra. The trail then continues along the tarmacked road past C� Don Carlo, a fine example of a rural courtyard hamlet with annexed oratory, and onwards through the dense Fignola woods. In this beautiful stretch, the road bed is one of the best preserved, with large paving stones. From here it is possible to continue as far as the parish of La Santona. The second original stretch is in fact the beautiful stretch between La Santona and Piane di Mocogno. Beyond the grotto of La Santona, the Via Vandelli continues; after a brief descent, it starts to climb up as far as the slopes of the massif of Mount Cantiere. From here it continues to the �Centro Croci� mountain pass, where there stands a tiny oratory and from where other stretches of the road continue.