This site could use cookies. Please, click here to look at our cookie policy page
www.emiliaromagnaturismo.it Emilia-Romagna Turismo

Sassomorello



Last update 01/10/2014 (ref.40767)
by the local editorial office of Unione di Comuni Valli Dolo Dragone e Secchia
Via Rocca, 1 - 41045 Montefiorino (MO)
Telefono: 0536/962727 Fax: 0536/965312 Email: infoturismo@unionecomuniovest.mo.it

The first records of the village date to 1197, when the men of Saso Morelli, part of the Committee of Gombola, swore allegiance to the City State of Modena. The position of the village, which spreads over a balcony of serpentine rock with a sheer drop below, probably inspired the rulers of this place to build a fortified structure here. Also, Sassomorello dominates one of the roads along the valley leading towards Prignano and Monfestino; in the past, these were important crossing points in the Apennines along the connecting roads from Modena to Frignano. In the XV century, Sassomorello broke away from the domain of Gombola and became part of the Podesteria di Monfestino. Sights of note include the church of San Bartolomeo, inaugurated in 1859, inside which there is an eighteenth century painting of San Bartolomeo Martyr, a reproduction of a famous painting by Jusepe de Ribera. Near the church there stands an ancient bell tower, restructured in 1950. On the road that leads to Gombola, you can admire the impressive serpentine rock on which the foundations of the village stand, as well as the ancient building structures of the parish church placed on the overhanging rock.