This site could use cookies. Please, click here to look at our cookie policy page
www.emiliaromagnaturismo.it Emilia-Romagna Turismo

Pigneto



Last update 14/09/2014 (ref.40766)
by the local editorial office of Unione di Comuni Valli Dolo Dragone e Secchia
Via Rocca, 1 - 41045 Montefiorino (MO)
Telefono: 0536/962727 Fax: 0536/965312 Email: infoturismo@unionecomuniovest.mo.it

The first records in reference to this village date to the second half of the twelfth century, when it came under the jurisdiction of Reggio Emilia. Perhaps a stronghold belonging to Matilde di Canossa, it belonged to the Da Roteglia family from the beginning of the fourteenth century and was joined to Prignano in 1480, under the Trotta family, with the Fortress of Pigneto, now a ruin standing in the area of “Rocca”. In 1168 the men of Pigneto swore allegiance to the City State of Modena. In 1197, the same allegiance was sworn to the City State of Reggio Emilia, under the jurisdiction of which it would remain for a long time. Its church, under the Pieve di Castellarano, and dedicated to San Nazario and San Celso, was originally built in 1462 and was later rebuilt in 1640 and again in 1731. Inside the church, there is a chalice dating to 1400, and a painting and furniture dating to 1600.