The earliest records date back to the first commitment of the Lands of the Abbey to Modena in 1173; seven of Farnetulo’s men swore their allegiance. An independent municipality since 1200, when it broke away from Gusciola, it was represented in the oath of that year by just three heads of family and was therefore just a tiny hamlet. Still an independent municipality in 1306, it then became part of the fiefdom of the Montecuccoli family of Polinago and remained thus until 1637, before passing into the hands of the Este government. Farneta church, coming under the parish of Rubbiano and dedicated to Saint Thomas, is nominated along with the Church of Saint Leonard of Gusciola in a document of the Capitular Archives of Modena dating to 1345; they both appear, still dependent on Rubbiano, in the catalogue of the churches of Modena of the XV century. On the hillock west of the hamlet it is likely that a medieval defensive structures once existed; however no historical records remain. To this day, the complex, still referred to as the Castle, features a southern wing with pebbled windows, wooden eaves and a large entrance portal in square-cut stone. The main building, once the residence of the Giannini family - as attested by the three inscriptions on the internal architraves dating to 1634, 1639 and 1642 - preserves a Renaissance stone fireplace the architrave of which is finely decorated with seeds and leaves and a coat of arms with lion rampant and three stars. The decorations on the chimneybreast recall those on the window corbels. Under the covered passageway there are two eighteenth century portals, one of which is pebbled and has a small, horizontal window above. Also of note is a tower ascribable to the seventeenth or eighteenth centuries, with moulded cornice and filled-in portal. The parish church, dedicated to Saint Thomas, dates to 1927, and was built to replace the original church of which part of the apse - dating to 1860, as attested in two inscriptions - remains. The bell tower dates to the last century. Near the church there are of note some partly restored buildings, one of which, with pebbled windows dating to the seventeenth century, is linked by a covered passageway to another construction with large, filled-in portals; a further building has eighteenth-century portals on the first floor. In nearby Perbone there is a construction dating to the sixteenth century with sandstone columns, and, inserted into one of the walls, a monolithic shrine with carved cross.